Thursday, July 11, 2013

Baby Birds

As we were leaving one of Kade's soccer practices we noticed a shoe box sitting on a rock. We noticed there was little baby birds in it. There was only a few sticks and green leaves. It was cold outside. When we looked closer the birds were shivering. I felt bad for them but did not know what to do. I waited for Kade's coach to come by to see what he would do. He took one glance and said that he would not touch them, but he would call the person over the league and let them know about the birds. For fear of getting sick from the birds I decided to leave them there.
 
When Eric got home Kade told him about the birds. We wondered if they were still there. Eric and Kade decided to go see if they were still there (this happened at about 9 at night). After they arrived back home they had the box with the birds in it. Kade let me know that when they found them somebody had kicked them over and one of the birds was laying on the really cold ground. I looked on the internet to see what to do for the birds. Basically we learned we needed to keep them warm. Since it was so late we decided to go to bed and wait until morning to figure out what to do. After looking at pictures of baby birds online we came to the conclusion we had just saved baby pigeons. Really? They were kind of ugly birds. But they are still one of Heavenly Father's creation, so I am sure, even though they were pigeons, He would want us to help them.
 
Morning came and the birds were all cuddled together. They must have been terrified. I started calling around to animal shelters, animal hospitals, etc. Finally a kind lady gave me a list of places I could call that takes orphaned animals. I called the NSPCA. As soon as I told them about the birds the lady I talked to said, without hesitation, "Bring them down here, we will take them". After Kade left for school I loaded the birds and the other three boys into the car and we took them down to the shelter. This is a great animal shelter. It is a no kill shelter, so I am sure they took great care of the pigeons until they were old enough to be on their own. As soon as I walked in the lady came and took the box. She said "we have people that can bottle feed these guys". We are grateful we didn't walk away from the birds. We re sure they would have died.
 
Here they are all nestled together in the box with the towel we put in. I still think they are ugly birds and can't believe we saved pigeons.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment